Friday, March 26, 2021

What I Read and Watched in March

I continue to be amazed at the deep pleasure I am experiencing through books this year. After last year's slump, this is such a relief. I read/finished nine books this month and am listing them in the order of how much I enjoyed them.

1) Most fun was Dorothy Sayer's Unnatural Death (Book #3 in Lord Peter Wimsey novels) because of the the great writing and intricate plot.
2) Tech-Wise Family by Andy Crouch was surprisingly theological. Instead of giving points on how to limit technology, he writes winsomely of what it means to be a family and how technology can help or hinder that. (review next week)
3) Silas Marner by George Eliot is a beautiful story of redemption, which I read with the Literary Life podcast group.
4) Down to Bedrock by Eric Cordingly - P.O.W. memoir (review here)
5) Clouds of Witness by Sayers (Book #2 Lord Peter)
6) The Changi Cross - a short book following the history of a hand-made cross during WWII
7) Your God is too Small by J.B. Phillips. Somehow this classic did not resonate with me. I loved the concluding thoughts. 
8) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey was good but not as amazing as expected.
9) Greensleeves by Eloise Jarvis McGraw was a well-written coming of age story, but with too much teenage angst for me. (To be fair, teens are the intended audience so I should not have been surprised.)

We haven't had much time for TV lately, but have been able to squeeze in an episode of the new PBS version of All Creatures Great and Small once a week. The recordings were sometimes too garbled to watch so we missed a few episodes, but the final episode was so delightful that I watched it twice.

What about you? Did you read or watch anything great in March?

Blessings,

1 comment:

Barbara Harper said...

I read Silas Marner for the first time, too. And we really enjoyed the new All Creatures Great and Small.