Friday, January 17, 2020

Two "Beautiful" Movies (Worthwhile Movies #19 and #20)

I saw my two favorite movies of 2019 back to back. Two weeks before Christmas my husband and I went to see "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" with Tom Hanks. We usually enjoy anything Hanks does, but I was nervous about how Mr. Rogers might be portrayed. Would they make him look like a total goofball? Would they try so hard to show that he had feet of clay that we would lose our respect for him?

Thankfully, none of those fears were realized. The story is just as much about the hard-nosed reporter sent to interview Rogers as it is about Rogers. The juxtaposition of their two lives gave a wonderful texture to the film. Never too harsh. Never too sweet. The filming was beautiful. Roger's faith was not ignored. Frankly, it's been years since I've felt that good coming out of a movie.

Then a week later, I watched This Beautiful Fantastic. (Amazon Prime). It's quirky beginning requires you to suspend disbelief from the get-go, and the result is a magical ride through the life of recluse Bella Brown (played wonderfully by Jessica Brown Findlay of Downton Abbey). Bella has anxiety issues and only leaves home to work in the library. But through a series of encounters with other unconventional people, she learns to live life more fully. It's a wonderful tale of the messiness of life and of relationships, and yet it celebrates it all. The music, the filming, and the dialogue are top-notch, and I can't wait to watch it again. (Beware of some swearing.)

What was your favorite film in 2019?

Blessings,

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Thanks for those recommendations!

Barbara Harper said...

I'm hoping to see the Mr. Rogers one, but will need to bring a box of tissues. I had misgivings, but I've heard good things about it. He was a big part of my kids' growing up--for a while his was the only children's program they were allowed to watch.

I've heard good things about the second one, and it's on my list to see.

One of my favorite movies I saw last year was from a while back--Saving Mr. Banks, with Tom Hanks portraying Walt Disney trying to get the author of Mary Poppins to give him the rights to her story. She was such a prickly person, yet the scenes from her childhood had me in tears (partly because my father was an alcoholic as well).

Because I have three boys--young men now--who are all Marvel Universe fans, we followed that franchise and loved Avengers: End Game.

GretchenJoanna said...

You make me think I would like both of those movies! I hardly ever go to the movies, and actually have only been to the theater once on my own, but these look well worth the stretch. Thank you!

booklearner said...

I love This Beautiful Fantastic! I'm glad to discover someone else who has seen it and loved it, not to mention even heard of it!

Barbara Harper said...

I did watch This Beautiful Fantastic a few weeks ago and loved it!