Friday, February 5, 2021

Postern of Fate by Agatha Christie

I was sad to finally finish the Tommy and Tuppence series. Postern of Fate was not only the final T&T book, but the last book Christie ever wrote. Critics panned it, saying that it showed her age and how she was slipping. But they obviously never heard it read by Hugh Fraser because he makes up for any defects the novel might have. Especially when he's imitating the voices of the pensioners at the old folks' home!

I haven't read enough of Christie to know if this is true or not, but it seemed to me to be a very personal book. The funny descriptions of the dog made me think that Christie was describing one of her own beloved pets. And as Tuppence and Tommy talk over all of their favorite childhood books, I wondered if they might have been Christie's too. 

In the beginning of the book, the Beresfords have just moved into their retirement bungalow. As they remodel the old rooms, they stumble across a mystery involving Mary Jordan, a former resident. Yes, the critics are right. The resulting sleuthing is a little confusing, but I didn't enjoy this entry in the series for its mystery so much as I loved it for its references to many beloved books, its charming and unique characters (beautifully voiced by Fraser), and for bringing closure to my literary relationship with this delightful couple. 

By the way, I tried to watch a few of the TV adaptions that were available on YouTube. In the 1984 version, Tuppence seems painfully silly. In the 2015 version, I was appalled by Tommy's complete indifference to Tuppence because in the books, he adores her (which is one reason I love them).

Anyone else read these?

Blessings,

No comments: