Thursday, July 14, 2022

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

I came to A Gentleman in Moscow with all the misgivings I usually have for modern fiction, but was pleasantly surprised with this beautifully told story.

Count Alexander Rostov is a political prisoner in Russia during the first half of the 20th century. His “prison” is the Metropol hotel in Moscow where he lives in a tiny attic room. In spite of his limitations, he develops many rich friendships (one with an actress who becomes his mistress, but thankfully their liaisons are never detailed).  

The gentle philosophizing was a delight:

I’ll tell you what is convenient,” he said after a moment. “To sleep until noon and have someone bring you your breakfast on a tray. To cancel an appointment at the very last minute. To keep a carriage waiting at the door of one party, so that on a moment’s notice it can whisk you away to another. To sidestep marriage in your youth and put off having children altogether. These are the greatest of conveniences, Anushka, and at one time, I had them all. But in the end, it has been the inconveniences that have mattered most to me. (p. 352)

When the Count was a young man, he prided himself on the fact that he was unmoved by the ticking of the clock…. There were those of his acquaintance who brought a new sense of urgency to their slightest endeavor. They timed the consumption of their breakfast, the walk to their office, and the hanging of their hat on its hook with as much precision as if they were preparing for a military campaign. They answered the phone on the first ring, scanned the headlines, limited their conversations to whatever was most germane, and generally spent their days in pursuit of the second hand. God bless them. For his part, the Count had opted for the life of the purposely unrushed. (p. 390)

In addition to the literary references (from Anna Karenina to Robinson Crusoe to Dante to Odysseus to the Count of Monte Cristo to Don Quixote!) and the good writing, the story is compelling. How do you thrive and continue to make a difference in other people’s lives when confined to a small space? The conclusions that Towles makes are simply astonishing.

Blessings,

3 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I approach modern fiction with misgivings, too. But I saw so many blog friends recommending this, I decided to give it a try. It was so good, with so many layers. It continued giving me "aha" moments for days afterward. (My review is here: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2020/08/26/book-review-a-gentleman-in-moscow/.)

Sunshine said...

Thank you for your review on this novel. I had read some good reviews a few years ago. I bought the book. I set it in my bookcase. A couple of weeks ago, I thought I might just give it away without reading. You've changed my mind. It sounds intriguing. So, onto my tbr next pile it goes!

Marie said...

I had wondered about this book. Thanks for such a good recommendation--I'll have to get it.