Friday, July 1, 2022

What I Read in June

This may have been the best reading month I've had so far this year: two good murder mysteries, a children's classic, a lovely Bible commentary and a modern novel that I actually liked!

The murder mysteries were from the Golden Age of Detective fiction. The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers was a bit difficult because a key component of the crime had to do with the art of change-ringing (which I knew nothing about), but I'm glad I persevered to the (surprising) end. The other mystery was The Nursing Home Murder by Ngaio Marsh, another fun entry in the Roderick Alleyn series.

It was a joy to re-read Wind in the Willows with the Literary Life podcast group. I listened to the Librivox version by Adrian Praetzellis. Warren Wiersbe's commentary on Leviticus, Be Holy, was a wonderfully helpful tool for understanding a difficult book of the Bible.

Finally, I read A Gentleman in Moscow. I came to the story with a lot of misgivings, but was pleasantly surprised at the great storytelling. The author masterfully describes the lives a small group of people who live and work in a Russian hotel during Stalin's regime. It made me want to learn more about that time in Russian history.

I will be posting more detailed reviews on some of these books soon. Unfortunately, the links to these books are pricey. I got all of them for free from my library or when they were on sale for Kindle. 

Have you read any of these? Any thoughts?

Blessings,

2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I just read The Wind in the Willows the first time a few years ago and loved it. If I read it again, I'll have to look up the Literary Life podcasts.

I've been using Wiersbe's "Be" commentaries with my church's Bible reading program. I collected most of them over a few years through Kindle sales, and I think I have all of them now.

I loved A Gentleman in Moscow (my review is here: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2020/08/26/book-review-a-gentleman-in-moscow/. Reading over it is making me want to listen to it again).

Farm Girl said...

I love Nine Taylors. Such a great book! I also really enjoyed all of the books by Ngaio Marsh with all of the Inspector Alleyn books. I read them all when I could just walk in the library and get them off the shelf. Not so easy now as our local libraries have gone Fahrenheit 451. Only that new junk. Adrian Praetzellis is the best reader. His Treasure Island is the best I ever heard. His voice is such a treat. Warren Wiersbe is still a treat. I think a long time ago you recommended a link when all of his books were free on Kindle. I got them then and I have been so glad I did. Great man. Have a wonderful July, and I look forward to your next "what I read," in July.