Friday, December 30, 2022

Reading Year in Review - 2022

Happily I am well out of the slump that I had during the pandemic and read quite a bit this year. Here are the highlights...

Best Contemporary Fiction: Gentleman in Moscow. I usually ignore popular books, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this wonderfully told story (reviewed here). 

Best Devotional Classic: A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life by William Law (reviewed here).

Favorite Vintage Fiction: The last two Lord Peter and Harriet Vane books by Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon. (reviewed here and here)

Favorite New Author: Ngaio Marsh. I've only read the first six, and while I did not always enjoy the mystery, I always grew in appreciation for the Shakespeare quoting detective, Roderick Alleyn, and his two sidekicks, Inspector Fox and Nigel Bathgate. A potential romance gets off to a rocky start in Artists in Crime, which I enjoyed very much because it had some Pride and Prejudice vibes.

The Audiobook that Knocked My Socks Off: Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson (review still to come)

Best Non-fiction (and FAVORITE of the year): You Are Not Your Own by Alan Noble (reviewed here).


What about you? Have you read any of these? What were your favorite books of 2022?

Blessings, 

1 comment:

Barbara Harper said...

I loved Gentleman in Moscow when I read it a couple of years ago. I haven't read any of the others listed here.

I listed my favorite books read this year here: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2022/12/28/top-twelve-books-read-in-2022/. My top nonfiction was Another Gospel: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity by Alisa Childers. Another was Heaven and Nature Sings: 25 Advent Reflections to Bring Joy to the World by Hannah Anderson. My top fiction was The Italian Ballerina by Kristy Cambron.