My reading was limited, but rich, this month. I finished Volume 8 of John Wesley's Works (mostly correspondence), which I enjoyed. One of my goals this year is to read the Iliad, the Odyssey and the Aeneid. So I listened to Elizabeth Vandiver's lectures on Homer's Odyssey and then listened to the audiobook narrated by the marvelous Dan Stevens. (I did not know that there was a new Odyssey film coming out till I finished the book, but it definitely made it easier to understand what all the criticisms of the film were about.)
To round out the month, I read two delightful shorter books: My Dear Charlotte by Hazel Holt and Lassie, Come-Home by Eric Knight.
I watched two patriotic movies in July. The Wings of Eagles starred John Wayne playing naval aviator Frank Wead (1895-1947). He and Maureen O'Hara have great rapport, but it was hard to believe her as a hard drinking American wife. The film was directed by the wonderful John Ford so I was surprised at how much slapstick was included. It actually pained my heart see Wayne, someone who always plays "bigger-than-life" characters, limping along with canes.
A Bell for Adano (based on John Hersey's Pulitzer Prize winning book) was my second film. It is about a small Italian town ravaged by World War II and the American major who comes to restore order. John Hodiak's wooden acting was grating, but William Bendix shone as his underling. It could have been heartwarming if it hadn't been so depressing.
The highlight of the month was Project Hail Mary, which I enjoyed so much that I'm going to write a separate blog post about it.
What about you? Did you read or watch anything related to American Independence Day?
Blessings,

No comments:
Post a Comment