Friday, June 6, 2008

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis

The language in Prince Caspian is deceivingly simple. Though it is aimed at children, it somehow succeeds in not talking down to them, which is one of the reasons why C.S. Lewis was such a memorable writer. He had the ability to couch great truths in clear language. Repeatedly I found myself rejoicing in those conversations in the book that revealed insights into human nature or into the nature of God Himself (via Aslan).

I liked the book very much, but didn’t LOVE it. For that reason I could watch the movie version and not HATE it. I was advised by Ken Brown not to read the book before seeing the film because the movie would be a disappointment. Mormon fiction writer, Orson Scott Card, wrote a blog saying the movie was better than the book. My sister, a true Narnia fan, hated the movie so I went into the theatre wondering what in the world to expect. There isn’t really much I can say about the movie that hasn’t been said already. Plugged-In (a family friendly review site) had pretty much laid out all the “pros” and “cons” for me (or so I imagined!) I was still unprepared emotionally for the opening scenes of a woman in the agony of childbirth quickly followed by the attempted murder of Prince Caspian. My first thought was, “This movie is NOT for children!”

As for the advice that I shouldn’t have read the book first, I was glad that I didn't take it. Knowledge of the book helped me to recognize several characters who appeared in the movie (the Bulgy bears and the giant) but who were never called by name. And, no, the movie is not better than the book. I felt deeply satisfied when I closed the final pages of the book, but didn’t have the same feeling when I came out of the movie theater. Maybe it was just too frenetic.

By the way, am I the only one who was bothered by the broken English in this movie? When Miraz repeatedly used the word “respite” and pronounced it with a long e and a long i, it just about drove me crazy. I’ve always heard that word pronounced with short vowels. Oh, well. 

1 comment:

Ken Brown said...

Well I wasn't wrong that you'd be disappointed after reading the book, was I? ;)