Friday, March 29, 2019

What I Read and Watched in March

I waffled on my New Year's resolution of reading 20 physical books before reading any fiction on my Kindle. After only 13 "real" books, I caved in and read a D.E. Stevenson novel, The House on the Cliff. I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it was worth falling off the wagon for.

The longest novel I read this month was Shogun by James Clavell. It was not my kind of book and it left me feeling emotionally depleted. (My review is is here.) Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill by Maud Hart Lovelace (reviewed here), The Mind of Christ by Kinlaw (reviewed here), and The Return of Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (reviewed here) were much more enjoyable.

On my Kindle was the terrific The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer (free at the time of this posting), Be Encouraged by Warren Wiersbe, and The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts by Bond (reviewed here.) On audio I thoroughly enjoyed George MacDonald's classic, The Princess and the Goblin.

If you read this blog regularly, you know that my viewing tastes are pretty tame. Rather than feel violated by shocking and violent images, we opt for older television programs on DVD - about two nights a week. We watched the second movie in the Hollow Crown series and were disappointed. There are reasons why Henry IV is not one of Shakespeare's better known plays. The dialogue isn't very memorable. The acting wasn't as good as the first film. And it was bawdier. We also watched a couple of Columbo movies from Season 4 and Perry Mason, Season 3. We finished up Season Three of Larkrise to Candleford (second time through); episode 12 is the best thing I've ever seen on television about the different kinds of love that it takes to make a marriage.

What about you? Did you read or watch anything worthwhile in March?

Blessings,

No comments: