Saturday, August 29, 2020

What I Read and Watched in August

I dreaded writing this post because I've had another awful reading month (since I have been mostly preparing for my upcoming theology class.) I finished Howard Snyder's Radical Wesley and read half of Roger Olsen's critique of Calvinism, Against Calvinism, but couldn't finish it because it was too snide. The one book I read for pleasure was George MacDonald's The Quiet Neighborhood, which I hope to review soon. 

A bright spot in the month was that I finally heard about The Literary Life podcast. I listened to the first three episodes and also three more recent ones on "Leaf by Niggle" and "On Fairy Stories" (both by Tolkien). I also listened to those two stories (on YouTube) and enjoyed them immensely. Hearing Angelina Stanford talk about the Gospel in Fairy Tales was a real treat.

After a good day of studying, I generally give myself a half an hour of a youtube movie, which came out to 5 movies: The two Signed, Sealed and Delivered movies (To the Altar, The Road Less Traveled) were pretty hokey, but the cast grows on you after a while. And it was amazing to hear one of the characters talk about how he had kept himself for marriage. When was the last time you heard that in a movie??? My favorite flicks were Hallmark mysteries because I enjoy the clean humor combined with an intriguing plot and very little romance. (Murder, She Baked: Deadly Recipe, Mystery 101, and Aurora Teagarden: Dead over Heels.) Although I sometimes make fun of Hallmark movies, I am sad that their channel is going the way of political correctness. 

Blessings,

5 comments:

Marie said...

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I enjoy your posts and am glad to hear about the podcast.

Marie said...

I have to comment a second time on this post and say that I am listening to The Literary Life podcast you mentioned, and I am so glad that you did. It is fascinating on the friendship between Dorothy Sayers and C.S. Lewis, and I will be eager to hear many of the previous episodes. Thank you again so much.

gretchenjoanna said...

Leaf by Niggle made a huge impression on me. I should read it again, and look into the YouTube version. Thanks for the tip.

hopeinbrazil said...

Marie, I'm so happy you are enjoying the podcast. It really makes my day when I have a chance to listen. The hosts have a great way of making the classics accessible.

booklearner said...

I, too, have recently discovered The Lit Life podcast and am LOVING it! I enjoyed the Detective fiction episode, and the two part shows on the Trojan Women. It's my new favorite podcast!