Thursday, October 1, 2020

What I Read and Watched in September

I watched an insane amount of movies this month. My only excuse is that I had an intense teaching schedule that took up all my days and three of my evenings. When it came time for R&R, I did not want to read. But when I realized that I'd watched 10 movies in the first TWO weeks of September, I put an abrupt halt to my film watching and made myself tackle a few books on my TBR stack.

Two of the movies were Dan in Real Life and Courtship of Eddie's Father. (Normally my husband won't watch romantic comedies with me, but consented to these two favorites for my birthday weekend.) Six were Hallmark mysteries, the best of which were the Hailey Dean Mysteries: Killer Sentence and Murder with Love. They were a little edgier than normal (hence the PG rating), but the writing and acting were good. The interracial friendships were satisfying because according to the American media, blacks and whites are doomed to never EVER being able to get along. I don't buy that.

We watched True Grit (the Cohen brother version) twice since my husband loved it so much. Then I had to read the book, of course, which was almost word-for-word as same as the movie.


In addition to True Grit, I read Little Britches by Ralph Moody which was pretty good, but not quite as winsome as the Little House books. Seaboard Parish by George MacDonald had a lot of good quotes, but the characters were not as interesting (nor the story as compelling) as Book One, The Quiet Neighborhood, had been. True Grit by Charles Portis was engaging, but the book I could not put down was Agatha Christie's By the Pricking of Her Thumbs. (Reviews for both of these will be posted soon.) 

I'm picking out a few books to read for Victober with Kate Howe. Her youtube video explains more about it.

Blessings,

1 comment:

Barbara Harper said...

Thanks for the movie recommendations! I remember seeing a TV series about The Courtship of Eddie's Father with Bill Bixby as the title character, but not the movie. I posted my latest books read and movies watched on my end-of-month post yesterday.