Thursday, February 25, 2021

Favorite Books in February

February was a surprisingly great reading month for me. I finished Kristin Lavransdatter, which was a grueling, but powerful book.

To offset the heaviness of KL, I listened to three delightful audiobooks: Whose Body? (the first Lord Peter Wimsy novel by Dorothy Sayers), 84 Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff (which was a read-along with the Literary Life Podcast group), and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, which I reviewed here. This last book caught me completely by surprise and may just be one of my favorite books of the year.

I don't usually read so many favorites in one month, but one more title hit it out of the park for me: L.M. Montgomery's A Tangled Web. I did not love it unequivocally and will highlight some of my reservations in next week's review. Still, it was funny and poignant, and the way that Montgomery brought closure to the story lines was heartwarming and satisfying.

I read all of these for free through my library app, Hoopla, (except for Kristin L. which I bought when it was on sale.)

What was your favorite February book?

Blessings,

4 comments:

Amy of Hearth Ridge Farm said...

I think my favorite February read is going to be Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt. It was heart-wrenching and beautiful.

Barbara Harper said...

My favorite February read was Write Better: A Lifelong Editor on Craft, Art, and Spirituality by Andrew T. Le Peau. I also enjoyed Devotedly, the Personal Letters and Love Story of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot by Valerie Elliot Shephard. And I just finished Nicholas Nickleby--as much as I love Dickens, I had never read that one.

I read and enjoyed 84 Charing Cross Road a few years ago. I had not heard of that title by LMM.

hopeinbrazil said...

Yes, Amy, Okay for Now is one of my favorites from Schmidt. Barbara, the book of Elliot letters sounds like it would be good.

Melissa B. said...

I recently watched the movie The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) and was so delighted by it that I just finished reading the book. Both were wonderful, albeit very different. I plan to watch the TV series next. I was curious about the book Blood and Swash so I Googled it and was quite amused to see that there is an actual book by that title! I have no reason to believe it is in any way related to the original story but somehow I think I'll have to take a peek at it at some point just to find out.