Saturday, May 1, 2021

What I Read and Watched in April

I started teaching an online class on April 19, so I worked hard to finish three hefty books before that deadline, knowing I wouldn't have much time after that. 

I finished Anna Karenina and was greatly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. (review forthcoming) I finished up two books for my theology class: The Transforming Power of Grace by Methodist theologian Thomas Oden and John Wesley in Theological Debate by Allan Coppedge (who was my advisor when I did my masters 30 years ago). I loved both books but they are definitely for theology nerds.  

In between the heavy reading, I watched lighter fare: nine episodes of "Julia," a TV series I enjoyed as a child, which is available on YouTube. I also watched two Hallmark mysteries (Murder 101: Killer Timing, and Crossword Mysteries: Riddle Me Dead) which were just okay. Dan and I also watched the first two episodes of the second season of The Chosen

Once my class started, I had much less time for reading or movie watching. Our son let us log into his Netflix account to watch the new Tom Hank's western, News of the World last weekend. I loved the book and love Hanks, but felt this movie didn't come up to the quality of storytelling that True Grit had.

Did you watch or read anything wonderful in April?

Blessings,

2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I remember watching Julia as a child! How neat that it is available now.

I have not seen News of the World yet, but I thought it looked good. I didn't know it was based on a book.

I just read/listened to Anna Karenina for the first time recently, and was surprised by it.

I just read the first two Chronicles of Barsetshire books by Anthony Trollope and enjoyed them--not quite as much as Doctor Thorne, but they were still good. I'm also enjoying Christian fiction author Joanne Bischof's Blackbird Mountain series about Norwegian immigrants in post-Civil War VA.

hopeinbrazil said...

Barbara, thanks for leaving your comments. I'll keep the Blackbird Mountain books on my radar. You know how skeptical I am about Christian fiction, but I'm ever hopeful.