Friday, October 22, 2021

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

My husband and I enjoyed the new BBC version of All Creatures Great and Small so much that we decided to read the book out loud to each other. We loved every page of these delightful stories of a rookie veterinarian and the quirky members of his household. Although you'll read more about cow anatomy than you ever wanted to know, you will also laugh (and sometimes cry) through many a chapter. Herriot's love for the land, the people and the animals is richly described on every page. Halfway through the first book, he writes:

How on earth, did I come to be sitting on a high Yorkshire moor in shirt sleeves and wellingtons, smelling vaguely of cows? The change in my outlook had come quite quickly - in fact almost immediately after my arrival in Darrowby. The job had been a godsend in those days of high unemployment, but only, I had thought, a stepping-stone to my real ambition. But everything had switched round, almost in a flash. 

Maybe it was something to do with the incredible sweetness of the air which still took me by surprise when I stepped out into the old wild garden of Skeldale House every morning. Or perhaps the daily piquancy of life in the graceful old house with my gifted but mercurial boss, Siegfried, and his reluctant student brother, Tristan. Or it could be that it was just the realization that treating cows and pigs and sheep and horses had a fascination I had never even suspected.

Probably it was because I hadn't dreamed there was a place like the dales. I hadn't thought it possible that I could spend all my days in a high, clean-blown land where the scent of grass or trees was never far away; and where even in the driving rain of winter I could snuff the air and find the freshness of growing things hidden somewhere in the cold clasp of the wind. Anyway, it had all changed for me and my work consisted now of driving from farm to farm across the roof of England with a growing conviction that I was a privileged person. (p. 246-247)

My husband read the biography, The Real James Herriot, written by his son, which recounted that James was asked by the editors to "spice up" the first book by adding in a few chapters about Helen. I'm glad he did because those were some of the most amusing and endearing chapters in the book. 

I just ordered book two, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and can't wait for it to arrive!

Have you read the books? Watched the series?

Blessings,

1 comment:

Carol in Oregon said...

Oh, Hope, Curt and I read these aloud to each other when we were first married. I remember how much we enjoyed all four books.

We also enjoyed the film adaptations.

Happy reading!