Sunday, July 31, 2022

What I Read and Watched in July

I'm toiling through four heavy-ish books (You are Not Your Own by Alan Noble, A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life by Law, Middlemarch by Eliot, and Gentle and Lowly by Ortlund) so I didn't finish many books this month. 

Of the three lighter books I read Death in Ecstasy and Vintage Murder by Ngaio Marsh were books #4 and #5 in the Roderick Alleyn detective series and didn't come up to the standard of the first three in my opinion. Kate Hardy was a light romance by D. E. Stevenson. 

Replenish by Lance Witt was about self-care, which is a subject I have to re-visit regularly since I am a people pleaser and need to be reminded of the physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits of saying an occasional "no."

Several good movies came across our radar. We had seen the 2011 Jane Eyre before, but I had forgotten how beautiful the language was. The Kid (2002) with Bruce Willis is always fun. I'm 60 and happily married, but Willis' goofy grin charms my socks off. And the message that you are not really a successful adult until you are pouring out your life for others was astonishingly refreshing. Last of all, we watched The Impossible Dream (part of the Signed, Sealed, Delivered series), which was surprisingly patriotic. My husband and I are Bible geeks so we loved it that some of the clues to the mystery revolved around Bible verses. 

I found the 1971 version of Sense and Sensibility on YouTube and watched it in anticipation of an upcoming Lit Life podcast.  It was a great month for feeding my heart and mind. What about you? Any books or movies to recommend?

Blessings,

1 comment:

Barbara Harper said...

The Hallmark movie sounds great! We enjoyed The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler, based on the true story of a Polish social worker who helped smuggle nearly 2,500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw ghetto during WWII.