Friday, April 28, 2023

What I Read and Watched in April 2023

Does anyone iron anymore? Since dryers are a rarity here in Brazil, I set up my ironing board every few weeks to spruce up my husband's dress shirts, and my task is often lightened by the viewing of an old movie. This month I found a little comedy gem called The Peterville Diamond (1943), which though not Oscar-worthy, had some fun one-liners and a clever little plot. Later in the month my husband and I watched the classic Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, (1939). Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur are two of my favorites and they were in rare form in this film. My library has started carrying some Hallmark Hall of Fame movies (precursors to the cheesy present-day Hallmark films), and I enjoyed Remember Sunday about a man whose aneurysm causes him to wake up each morning with no short term memory. The acting was excellent, and despite the fact that it is a love story with comedic elements, it is definitely not a romantic comedy. 

I had an amazing reading month beginning with King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green, which started me on a huge Arthurian legend rabbit trail. I followed this up with James Knowles' Legends of King Arthur and His Knights, which I enjoyed even more. I have been an avid reader of classic literature all my life. How am I so late to this party?????

Uncle Tom's Cabin was my audiobook of the month. Not a perfect book, but much better than I was expecting.(review forthcoming) The other books I read were Out to Canaan, A New Song and A Common Life by Jan Karon (books 4-6 in the Mitford series). I also finished the excellent Prayers in the Night by Tish Warren, Preparing for Easter (readings based on C.S. Lewis' writings), and Lord, Teach Me to Pray in 28 Days by Kay Arthur. 

It seems like I read a lot, but I had been reading three of the books for some time and happened to finally finish them up in April. 

Any King Arthur fans out there? Any other thoughts on this film/book list? 

Blessings,

No comments: