Thursday, December 28, 2023

Reading Year in Review 2023

Some of my reading goals for 2023 were sidetracked by the unexpected rabbit trail of the Arthurian legends, but it was a happy detour. Of the five versions I read, Howard Pyle's The Story of King Arthur and His Knights was the one that most captured my heart, making it my favorite book of the year. Some of my other top picks were:

Best devotional book: My Utmost for His Highest. I dust off my copy every few years for a re-read. Chambers doesn't pull any punches about the cost of being a disciple. Very heart-strengthening.

Most difficult, but worth the effort: Norms and Nobility by Hicks. Although it is a book on education (the classical tradition), it is also a book on what it means to be fully human. Lots of food for thought. 

Non-fiction: Supper of the Lamb by R.F. Capon. I loved this cooking memoir for its "joie de vivre." Life is beautiful (and hard). Don't waste it.

YA books that were delightful: Miracles on Maple Hill by Sorenson and The King's Equal by Katherine Paterson

Biggest surprise and second favorite: The Bridge of San Luis Rey. (No one ever told me how wonderful this 1928 Pulitzer prize winner is. Review is forthcoming.) 

What about you? What were your favorites of the year?

All 84 books that I read this year are listed on my Goodreads page

Blessings,

1 comment:

Susanna said...

My favorite reads of 2023 were:

Booth by Karen Joy Fowler
The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
Reunion by Fred Uhlman
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
The Distant Land of My Father by Bo Caldwell
Silence by Shusaku Endo
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie