Friday, May 1, 2020

What I Read and Watched in April

Though I'm still in a stress-induced brain fog, I managed to read several classics this month. I tried to listen to an audio version of Bambi, but disliked it so much that I gave it up halfway through (review here). My Antonia by Willa Cather, on the other hand, was an excellent audio book. Another book that was surprisingly good was The Best-Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis. I read a few poems a day and found consolation in their beauty. Persuasion by Jane Austen was a perfect comfort read.

My Christian non-fiction for the month was Affliction by Edith Schaeffer, which was a solid, sensible look at suffering. (reviewed here) There's never any fluff with Edith Schaeffer.

My biggest disappointment was Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (reviewed here) because I loved her book, Beauty, so much.

As far as movies go, I watched Across the Pacific with Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor because I had heard the banter was witty. It was filmed in 1942 and Japanese stereotypes are rampant, but the repartee between the protagonists was perfect. I also watched the 1971 BBC version of Persuasion after reading the book. The hairstyles and dress were dated, but I thought the actress who played Anne was lovely. She was beautiful but had lost the bloom of youth (just as Anne is described in the novel).


We watched the first season of VidAngel's series on the life of Christ called The Chosen. My husband and I are such biblical purists that we thought we'd hate it. But it was actually very well done and we enjoyed it. I liked the series, but I LOVED the pilot, The Shepherd, which is available on YouTube.

Did you have a favorite book or movie this month?

Blessings,

3 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I read/listened to My Antonia after reading your review and loved it. I was glad to see your comment on The Chosen. I've seen it mentioned several times, but biblical fiction in TV or books is usually a little off. So I am glad to hear that this is well done. I might see if my husband is interested in watching it.

I just finished watching This Beautiful Fantastic and loved it. It's about a young woman who was orphaned early and became pretty obsessive-compulsive. A run-in with a grumpy neighbor, his kind cook, and an inventor help her open up to life. It had me smiley and teary at the same time.

hopeinbrazil said...

Barbara, I'm so glad you liked My Antonia. I loved This Beautiful Fantastic too.

Carol said...

I loved Beauty by McKinley & I hadn't heard of Rose Daughter. What a pain it's no good!
Thanks for the link to the Persuasion movie. It's my favourite Austen novel. Hope you're in good health,