Thursday, January 14, 2021

Reading Goals for 2021

I hesitated to write this post since I haven't been faithful to keep my goals for the last few years. I prefer to read where the spirit takes me and to not be tied down to a list. That said, last year I began to think seriously about reading certain classic works on a regular basis and the only way to do that is to set goals. My specific goals are now fairly simple: one title each year from Shakespeare, Dickens and Austen.

The Literary Life Podcast gang has a list of 19 genres they want to cover in 2021. I don't intend to complete their list, but due to "positive peer pressure" from the group, I'm going to attempt three chunksters that I have long avoided: Kristen Lavransdatter (I have the 45 hour audiobook), Anna Karenina (35 hours), and Bleak House (800 pages). If these are the only books I read this year, I'll be satisfied. 

Since I'm planning to read lighter material in between, I'll also be reading one Shakespeare play and Silas Marner (also with the Lit Life group). There were two Victorian titles I did not read for Victober 2020 that I'd like to tackle this year: The Love Letters of Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and something by Cardinal John Henry Newman. Lastly, there were several Christmas titles I could not fit in that I'd like to make room for this December: Hercule Poirot's Christmas and Silent Night: Christmas Mysteries by Martin Edwards.

I haven't decided which Austen title to read yet.

Anyone else have formal or informal reading plans for 2021?

Blessings,

4 comments:

Carol said...

That sounds like a good plan. I read some chunky titles last year; in fact I read more than I normally would have but I didn't write about many of them. Bleak House is one of my favourite Dickens' books & my dd and I watched the BBC movie a couple of weeks ago. First time for her as I was trying to encourage her to read the book. We both read Martin Chuzzlewit last year and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I'd considered myself Dickensed out and thought I'd read his best but this one was very readable & had some very memorable & quite a few likeable characters.
I've tried to comment a few times on your blog but for about the last year I've had such a frustrating time with commenting anywhere! So annoying. Anyhow I still read your blog. :)

AnneKristy said...

I have the same Kristin Lavrandsdatter by Sigrid Undset, but it is in paperback format. I'm anxious to read it.
Have you read other Scandinavian stories?

Barbara Harper said...

I never heard of Kristen Lavransdatter. I just read (or rather, listened to) Anna Karenina and Bleak House the last few years and enjoyed them. I've wanted to read Silas Marner for years but haven't yet. I listened to an abridged audio performance of it, but I'd like to read the whole book.

I wasn't exposed to many classics as I grew up, so I have set about reading them as an adult. I participate in a Back to the Classics challenge which is a fun way to do that. I also participate in a couple of challenges to read what's already on our shelves. I have stacks of books that have been gifted to me, so that helps me get to those (books I asked for. I have a few given to me that I am not interested in, so they are in the bottom of the pile. :-) ) But I also like the freedom to pick up something else I discover through the year. My post about reading plans for this year is here: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2021/01/06/reading-plans-for-2021/.

hopeinbrazil said...

No, AnneKristy, I haven't read any other Scandinavian stories. I keep hearing great things about Kristin Lavrandsdatter; I've heard it's hard to get through but SO WORTH IT.