Friday, January 1, 2021

Reading Year in Review 2020

I usually look back over my list of completed books and find my heart singing over certain titles that I read during the year. But, as I've stated many times, the multi-layered stresses of 2020 made it a very difficult year for engaging fully with the books I read. Almost every one of them was a slog. 

Stumbling upon the fourth Tommy and Tuppence novel at the end of September, was a turning point because suddenly I had a book to look forward to. Instead of barely getting through one book, I was back to reading three or four at a time. My reading slump was over!

So here are my favorites from the year. 

Most effortless fun: Two new-to-me D.E. Stevenson titles: Five Windows and The Empty World

Most enjoyable classics (both re-reads): Persuasion by Austen and (an annotated) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Hardest-to-put-down: all the audiobooks in the Tommy and Tuppence series (I listened for free on YouTube).

Most inspiring: The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

Best children's lit: Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery (first in a trilogy)

The most work, but worth it: John Wesley's 52 Sermons which I read for a few minutes a day all year.

To be honest, the book that really got me through the year was the Bible. My husband and I have always had our own personal devotions, but this year we started reading a scripture passage out loud together after breakfast. Hearing the words was life-giving in the midst of so much uncertainty.

Goodreads says I read 92 books, but five were DNFs. 

What were your five star reads for the year?

Blessings,

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I enjoy reading your book posts. We have similar reading taste. Here's my summary of reading in 2020. http://seattlemomoftwo.blogspot.com/2020/12/best-books-i-read-in-2020.html

Susanna said...

My favorite book this year was Simon the Fiddler by Paulette Jiles. Other 5 star reads: I Will Send Rain by Rae Meadows, Being Mortal by Atul Gawande, The Only Plane in the Sky by Garrett Graff, A Special Providence by Richard Yates, Old Lovegood Girls by Gail Godwin, Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips, The Company of Women by Mary Gordon, Patron Saint of Liars and The Dutch House both by Ann Patchett.

hopeinbrazil said...

Susanna, I loved News of the World by Jiles. I'll have to check out this other title.

Barbara Harper said...

Amen to Bible reading--it's my lifeline.

I just "discovered" D. E. Stevenson this year, with Amberwell and Summerhills. Amberwell was one of my top 12. The others are listed here: https://barbaraleeharper.com/2020/12/30/my-top-twelve-books-of-2020/. Trollope was a new discovery to me, too, and his Doctor Thorne was enjoyable. Jen Wilkin's None Like Him and In His Image about the attributes of God were so good, and I am sure I'll need to read them again some time.