Friday, September 17, 2021

How to Get Started Reading Dante

When I heard about the 100 Days of Dante challenge, I knew it would give me the motivation to approach his daunting classic, The Divine Comedy. I read three books beforehand to provide background, but without having read the actual text, they were not as helpful as I had hoped. I still felt lost as I began reading The Inferno (book one of three). Since I pride myself in having developed literary muscle through the years, I was dismayed that it was still a struggle to understand what was happening. 

At first I listened to the short lectures given by Dante scholars from Baylor before reading each canto, but realized that I had no idea what they were talking about. I floundered a bit before deciding to read the assigned (short) canto before AND after listening to the teaching video. That meant that I had to spend 20 to 30 minutes on each canto (just three times a a week if you are following the 100 Days with Dante schedule). Searching and comparing translations, and finding one that worked for me, also made a huge difference. Listening while reading was also helpful. (There are many free audio versions on YouTube.)

I will not say that I am still understanding everything perfectly, but I'm glad for all the resources available that act as training wheels for the uninitiated like me. The passion that the Baylor profs have for Dante is contagious. 

Regarding translations... Because I live in Brazil, I could only do comparisons using Kindle samples. That eliminated some respected translations such as Dorothy Sayers' and Anthony Esolen's. The most readable classic translation was by poet John Ciardi, but I ended up discarding it because I thought it odd that he did not include the best line from Canto 1 (line 39 about God's Divine Love being the creative force of the universe). He left out that idea all together even though it is clearly there in the Italian. (I only know that because it is similar to Portuguese!)

The digital versions I liked the most (clear without dumbed-down language) were by Clive James, Robert Durling, and Gerald J. DavisHenry Wadsworth Longfellow has a version that's free, which isn't too difficult if you are used to King James' English.

Anyone else read Dante? Are you reading along with the 100 Days challenge? Any more tips?

Blessings,

1 comment:

Marie said...

Yes! I'm reading Dante too. I started with Rod Dreher's How Dante Can Save Your Life, reading the relevant cantos as I went. Using 3 translations--Esolen, Hollander, and Sayers for the notes. I absolutely loved it. Sayers has great notes and diagrams, and Esolen and Hollander have more readable translations. I highly recommend the Dante course from Hillsdale College (free, but they hope for a donation). It is a broad overview, but very helpful. Now I am reading through it again, the cantos first, using notes from Esolen and Sayers, writing on the canto page, and listening to the 100 Days after. It really increases my appreciation, and I hope you will also enjoy it. (Try the Sayers notes and diagrams with your translation. I think it will help.)