Thursday, March 9, 2023

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon (Mitford #1)

I devoured all the Mitford books years ago. According to my book log, I read this first one in 1998. Oddly, I only blogged about one of them (book 12 of 14). I haven't read the last two, so I'm looking forward to that AS SOON AS I re-read the first dozen. 

It was lovely to visit Mitford again this week. In At Home in Mitford, Jan Karon writes charmingly of the trials and tribulations of the folks in a small imaginary town in North Carolina. I wouldn't denigrate it by calling it Christian fiction. Yes, it's clean, and includes talk about God and prayer, but there are no syrupy sweet characters and no easy answers. The main character, Father Timothy, is an Episcopal pastor who has a vibrant faith, but who often struggles with burnout and insecurity. 

And in spite of the light tone (often conveyed through dialogue with hilarious townspeople), Karon manages to pack a lot of suffering into her books. In this one, there is a drug-addicted mom, a woman dying of a heart condition, thwarted love, a prison sentence and a diabetes diagnosis. Yet Karon still manages to deftly weave hope and laughter into each chapter.  

The quirky characters are fleshed out in such a way as to keep them from being caricatures. Take Miss Rose for example. She's a cantankerous nut job who wears a mixture of army surplus and rummage sale clothing and lives in a huge, crumbling house with her husband, Uncle Billy. As the story progresses, we discover that she is bi-polar and makes life miserable for Billy. But he is determined to protect her and love her because "that's what he promised to do." 

It's a lovely book and I can't wait to start the sequel!

P.S. I am stunned at how expensive these are Amazon. Thankfully, I picked up all my copies at thrift stores.

Blessings,


No comments: