Thursday, June 29, 2023

What I Read and Watched in June 2023

This was a hectic month as we taught our classes, kept up with ministry responsibilities, and tied up loose ends before leaving our apartment for six months of home assignment. I am looking forward to easy access to libraries and cheap books in the U.S!

The books I read in June are listed in order of favorite to least favorite, although I enjoyed them all:

All the Light We Cannot See by Doerr, which I reviewed at Goodreads. (some foul language, but what an amazing story!)
Holy Happiness by Kinlaw - a superb series of sermons on Genesis 1-3 
Praying the Bible by Donald S. Whitney seemed a little hokey at first, but when I began to put it into practice, I received rich dividends. Still learning how to pray through the Psalms. 
The Way to Pentecost by Chadwick was another devotional book that encouraged me to trust in Christ's strength and not my own.
The Medieval Mind of C.S. Lewis - I learned a lot, but it was uphill climbing.
A Maid in Arcady by Ralph Henry Barbour - Vintage fiction that I read when sidelined by a bad cold.

I finished up three books that I have been reading for months: All Things Wise and Wonderful has been our date night read-aloud since September of last year and evoked much laughter and a few tears. I started Amazing Grace: 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories in January, but finished it early because I couldn't just read one a day. I also finished Living a Life of True Worship, my favorite 40-minute Bible study from Precept Ministries.

 All our Friday night movies this month were via my library's Hoopla app. Lilies of the Field with Sidney Poitier (for which he won an Oscar) was delightful. The Hallmark Hall of Fame, Harvest of Fire was also excellent. (The trailer makes it look a lot more melodramatic than it was. And I got a kick out of seeing Eric Mabius from the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies as a gawky teenager.) Finally, we watched the Hallmark mystery, Abracadavar, which had just the right amount of suspense for me (very little. ha!) 

What about you? Did you read or watch anything commendable?

Blessings,

1 comment:

Gretchen Joanna said...

I hadn't heard of that book about Lewis, but I hope to read his own book on the subject, The Discarded Image. Have you read that? I wonder if it might be easier to get through than the one you read... or, maybe I will need The Medieval Mind afterward to help me unpack Lewis!

All the Light We Cannot See was truly great -- so far it's Doerr's masterpiece, in my view, now that I've read several books by him. I would love to read it again. Maybe next time I will listen...