Friday, April 20, 2012

Elizabeth Goudge Books


One of my goals for the New Year was to read more Elizabeth Goudge.  A quick look at Amazon showed that most of the ones I wanted were more than $20 so I zipped over to AbeBooks and found that I could get four titles for the same amount: The Child from the Sea, Pilgrim's Inn, The Heart of the Family, and The Dean's Watch.  What a treasure trove!

Child From the Sea is the only book in the stack that I haven't read before.  I am very happily entrenched in The Dean's Watch and will be writing a review soon.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Haven't heard of this author before, so I've just been over to Amazon to check her out, and she's very appealing. Thanks for the tip.

mel said...

As a child, The Child From the Sea was one of my favorites. As I've reread it as an adult I see that much of the subject matter was not really for children! but I think I felt a kindred spirit with Lucy as a child. And the parts about the sin-eater have stuck with me and popped up now and then in other contexts. I love Elizabeth Goudge's books. Linnets and Valerians was also one of my favorites. I remember my mother reading it to me when I was 3 or 4 years old. Now, as an adult, The Dean's Watch and Island Magic are my favorites.
Thank you for discussing such wonderful books!
Melanie

hopeinbrazil said...

Mel, thanks for leaving a comment. I have not read Island Magic or Linnets and Valerians so thanks for your input.