Friday, August 2, 2013

Reminiscing about Books

I was adding a few titles to my reading journal and decided to take a peak at what I was reading ten years ago. It turned out to be a Jane Austen knockoff called The Third Sister by Julia Barrett.  (I have since given up all books that try to sound like Austen, but which invariably fail.)

Peeking back a little further, I saw that twenty years ago this month I was reading poetry and books about homeschooling.  And 25 years ago I was devouring all of Michael Phillips re-workings of George MacDonald's romances. I was also reading my first Elizabeth Goudge book, The Scent of Water.

It's fun to think that I've read hundreds of books since then and have discovered many wonderful new authors.

Anybody else keep a reading log? What were you reading a decade ago?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't keep a strict reading log. If I put dates and times on it, it takes away the pleasure of it, because I'm worried that I'm not reading fast enough, or it's too frothy, or whatever. I just stick to one line of title, author and maybe a comment.

So I couldn't tell you what I was reading, say, 3 years ago. I can tell you, however, that today I reached 800 books in just under 7 years. I'm unreasonably proud of that.

Susanna said...

A decade ago, I read a lot less than I do today. In 2003, my children were 9 and 7 so I was reading books like "How to Keep Your Kids on Your Team" by Charles Stanley and "For the Children's Sake" by Susan Schaeffer Macauley. I also read three books that year (by Thomas Eidson) which were westerns--a genre I don't read very often. I see that I read "The Purpose Driven Life" and two older novels that I enjoyed very much: "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins and "Ethan Frome" by Edith Wharton.